Monday, June 3, 2013

Sutra Meditation practice

image compliments of fineartamerica.com
At the end of my last session of training, I created a sequence designed as preparation for meditation.  I used one of the Yoga Sutras (Ch. 3 Sutra 51) as a mantra throughout the practice, when I could feel my mind wandering.  The mantra is:
                               Dyanaheya Tadvrttayah
Which, I take to mean:
                              Deep meditation burns the seeds of suffering.

Swami J quotes: 
                             51: Non-attachment to forms and omniscience destroys seeds

This practice helps my squirmy self sit for meditation, which may only be a five minute stretch.  It seems to drop me into a nice "pocket" of presence, without too much mental fidgiting. 

The sequence begins on the knees, for vajrasana.  Then I do a nice and strong version of utkatasana, or chair pose.  Though I designed the pose to do this as an asymetric variation, one hand begind the back, as I was using this posture for another sequence I was designing at the time, it morphed into a symetrical variation.  When I rediscovered my notes, after much searching, I went back to the sequence from training.  

The asymetrical variation of chair pose works the lattisimus dorsi one at a time.  It prepares wonderfully for the standing twist that follows.  From there, it's back to the floor for downward dog, urdhva prasarita padottanasana, and then the wonderful lateral stretch on the floor.

Nadi Sodhana, an alternate nostril breath, settles the right/left activity or imbalance in the nervous system, and then it's time for meditation.  As I said, it might be anywhere from 5-15 minutes.  I consider it a total win if I sit for meditation at all.  I try to let go of expectations around time, as the mom of a two year old.

This practice is a wonderful way to start my day, especially what it does for the upper back, neck, and torso.  It is a joy for me to get to the meditation cushion without a fight, and this sequence allows it.  I feel very soft and grounded at the end.

No comments: